Friday, December 7, 2012

Getting Surly again



Well I've gone and done it again.  I managed to acquire two more Surly framesets to go with my original 1x1 singlespeed.  If I hadn't sold my Cross Check I'd be up to Surly #4 but for now I'll settle with having 3.  The Steamroller and the Pacer are both 56cm.  The CC that I sold was a 58cm that I took a shot at trying and discovered that I much prefer a 56cm bike.  Being an 5'11'' puts me in between  sizes depending on which fit method I use.  The best method I've found is miles on the bikes.  Nothing dials in a bike fit then trying out stuff while riding.  So the Steamroller is just built in a "get it rolling" basic build...nothing permanant.  The Pacer is built up to be my commuter with full fenders and down tube shifters.  The DT shifters are proving to be perfect for messy weather because you can shift with winter gloves, there is hardly any housing to get gunked up and I can try different handlebar setups with only a quick brake re-cabling.  I love my Surly bikes.  I can use all of my spare parts and build them into different bikes all day long.  Now if I can only get my hands on a Krampus and it's wheelset...